Network Design Engineer (Intermediate Level)
San Francisco, California
Building Technology Systems Network Design Engineer
Our client, an award-winning and innovative multi-disciplinary engineering consulting firm, is looking for a Building Technology Systems Senior Network Design Engineer specializing in systems design for the San Francisco office. The company works around the world on large, complex projects with a focus on sustainability and energy performance of the built environment.
About the Job
Our Engineers work on high quality, high-profile, national and international projects. You will actively participate in the full project cycle, from the design phase through close-out. We offer excellent growth opportunities: Many of our senior leaders started out as young engineers in our firm.
- Functions as the network design engineer with respect to WAN/LAN/WLAN, VLANs, VPNs, internet access, remote access services, wireless connectivity, directory services, network security, VOIP telephony and related technologies.
- Ensures that the network infrastructure is optimally architected and designed with implementation oversight services for 3rd party vendor installations.
- Architect and serve as expert consultant regarding all network components, functions, and addressing implementations (IP planning, routing, DNS, etc.)
- Develops the network infrastructure design so that it enables effective interoperability among various enterprise systems and other resources.
- Assesses the scope, requirements, needs, functionality, and timelines associated with complex information technology projects.
- Develops specifications, BOM and cost estimates for new designs for software, hardware and services.
- Monitors projects on a continuous basis; resolves issues and ensures timely completion of tasks within budget.
- Attend and participate in client facing and project coordination meetings
- Communicate and coordinate technical design solutions with clients, design teams and vendors
- Coordination and integration of building technology systems with other intelligent building systems
- Network certified (i.e. CCNP, CCDP, CCIE, JNCIA, CISSP etc.) or ability to pursue obtaining these certifications within six months of hire
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with network engineering standards and design best practices for enterprise networks including WAN/LAN, WLAN, VoIP and Video
- Strong working knowledge of TCP/IP layer 2 technologies and layer 3 routing technologies, such as BGP, EIGRP and OSPF and other protocols such as H.323, SIP.
- Working knowledge of multi-tier applications and their inter-dependencies including web services, RADIUS, TACACS, AD, LDAP and DNS.
- Advanced knowledge of information systems security concepts and technologies; network security architecture; hardware and software; intrusion tools as a whole, including but not limited to: Access Control List (ACL), secure remote management practices, NAC, IDS, ASA, PIX, MARS, IPS, VPNs (SSL, tunneling, IPsec, PPTP, etc.)
- Fluency with common network admin and intrusion detection tools.
- Advanced knowledge of the large hardware manufacturer’ s product lines (eg. Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, Aruba, Xirrus, Palo Alto, F5 Networks etc.).
- Knowledge of telecommunications structured cabling systems is a major plus.
- Systems Design consultant experience preferred.
- Strong background in converged systems design for various types and sizes of projects.
- Design of integrated intelligent building systems for Smart Buildings is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to organize and present design information to clients.
- Expert MS Visio experience desired for systems diagram presentation.
- Experience in working directly with C-level clients.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, disability, and life insurances, 401K plan, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, and more.